I have curly hair. No wait, scratch that. I have very curly hair. No, hold on. I have very curly, unruly, frizzy, can't-do-a-thing-with-it hair. There, that's better. Or worse. Either way, it's the truth. (Look there's a picture on the left to prove it.)
Over the years I have gelled it, plaited it, blow-dryed it, straightened it, added extensions to it and tonged it. You name it, I've probably done it. Finally, when DD came along and every spare moment was spent trying to get some shut eye, I threw in the rather damp towel and left it au natural.
Now, I should clarify that last statement. Anyone who knows me knows that 'au natural' does not mean sans products anymore than the 'no make up look' means no make up. In fact, it generally means the opposite. So here, for any other curly heads out there *waves*, is my current top 5 curly hair taming products.
1. Frizz Ease Hair Serum Original - this is one of the best selling hair products in the world apparently. For the amount of this stuff I've bought over the years I should have shares in the company. It is a base product to tame frizz and encourage natural curl, rather a styling product, but it works. The important thing with this silicon serum is to put it on soaking wet hair. Not towel-dried, not even patted a bit. Put it on in the shower when you've rinsed off your conditioner, comb it through and you're done.
2. Tigi Foxy Curls Contour Cream - fab styling cream that goes on after Frizz Ease hair serum to encourage curl and provide medium hold. Comb through, scrunch a bit then leave to dry or use a hair dryer with a defuser. Can leave hair a bit crunchie if left to dry naturally but a few scrunches gets rid of that and hold still remains.
3. Frizz Ease Secret Agent Perfecting Creme - despite it's rather silly name this stuff is a miracle in a tube. It's like a drink for thirsty, parched hair. I use it on dry hair to tames frizz and add definition to my curls. The creme is light without being sticky or tacky so you can use it during the day if the frizzies appear.
4. L'Oreal Kids Pear Tangle Tamer - DD has inherited my curls (but waaaaay cuter when you're two and a half) and has incredible bed head in the morning so I spray this on, comb through and when it dries her curls are defined with no frizz. My hair is more frizzy than hers but I use it as a day 2 spray to encourage the curl back before applying Frizz Ease Secret Agent to tame the frizzies.
5. Wide toothed comb - ok this isn't strictly a product but it's an essential for curly hair. I do not own a brush. I do not comb my hair when it's dry. It gets one comb through with a wide toothed comb when it's wet and then it has to wait until the next wash. And when I say wide? I mean wiiiiiiide. I'm currently using this one from Tesco. Cheap and effective.
Do you have curly hair? What are your go-to products to get the curls you crave?